St. George's Old Boys Score 2-0 Victory Over Touring Trinidadians

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Visitors Defeated For Second Time In Inter-Colonial Games;
Trinidad Player Injured And Forced To Retire;
Wordy Impasse Between Rival Players.

St. George's O.B.—2 (Byfield; DeLeon)
Trinidad — — 0

The Trinidad SideThe Trinidad Side: which played St. George's Old Boys yesterday at Sabina Park. (L to R) back row: Jones, Ambard, Merry. (Middle): Wilkinson, B. Henderson, Wilkes. (Front row): Burnett, L. Henderson, Alkins, Sutherland, Thompson.

PLAYING A FAST, vigorous and bustling game, the St. George's College Old Boys decisively defeated the visiting Trinidad team, two goals to nil yesterday afternoon at Sabina Park.

The tourists were without Maynard, Tench and Payne, three of their best men, but whether their absence would have saved the side from defeat is purely speculative. For practically 20 minutes of the second half, they were also without the services of L. Henderson, their inside right, who received a kick in the groin and was forced to abandon play.

Play Described

The winners held sway from start to finish, and although the Trinidadians fought back with pluck and determination, they proved unequal to the task of turning back their opponents.

Adopting the very tactics that have brought the tourists victory in the intercolonial series, St. George's swept away downhill and from the outset indicated that their intention was to maintain as much pressure as possible on the opposing defence.

Their forwards, combining nicely and well, backed by a reliable half line, worried Trinidad's last lines continually. Ambard in goal was repeatedly called upton to bring of some fine "saves." He, Jones and Merry, the full-backs, had always to be on the qui vive and along with B. Henderson, Wilks and Wilkinson on the half line were subjected to heavy bombardment.

Ten minutes of attacking by St. George's proved futile although it had appeared that they were likely to score at any moment.

A Splendid Try

With the pressure relieved, Trinidad trailed up the hill and exchanges became more even. Thompson at outside left for Trinidad, stole a march on the opposing backs and sent in a splendid shot which struck the cross-bar and went out of play. Undaunted, Trinidad made several spirited sallies in their opponents' danger zone, Burnett their outside winger, leading the offensive, and it was only through the smart work of the St. George's defence, particularly Chin Fatt and Peter, prevented Trinidad going ahead.

It was now St. George's time to attack, and with Byfield on the left wing working the ball in for distribution among the inside men, McKenzie, DeLeon and Anderson, Trinidad again went on the defensive.

The First Goal

Quite a few dangerous movements proved abortive at the very last moment before the "Dragons'" front line again made a determined offensive. The ball lolled from one St. George forward to another before Byfield rushed in to score teh first goal with a well-paced right foot ground shot which found the far corner of the net.

Trinidad returned to the attack with spirit and forced a corner or two, but half-time saw the score unchanged—St. Georges leading one-nil.

The Second Half

On the resumption, play assumed more vigorous proportions, and was rough for the most part of this, the second half. The Trinidadians seemed very much bent on equalizing the score, and the St. George's defenders were tackling sharply. Shortly after this there was a wordy impasse between McKenzie and Ambard, of Trinidad, and the referee cautioned the St. George's player. The ball was "bumped" to re-start play and L. Henderson attempting a break was brought down by Chevannes whose right boot got him in the groin. It appeared to be an accident, although the referee awarded a free kick for dangerous play. Writhing in great pain, the injured player had to be removed, and unfortunately never took the field again. He recovered sufficiently, however, to see the closing stages of play.

There was a lull for a short while as play perceptibly slackened. St. George's were first to resume the offensive and the exchanges were particularly fast and vigorous after this, and continued so until the end. From this point,—for approximately the last fifteen minutes of play—it was all St. George's. The club side had things pretty well its own way, the tourists getting through their defence on a few rare occasions.

The Second Goal

Ambard was fully tested and responded admirably to the calls. Then some lovely work between the St. George's half-backs and fowards let Anderson, their inner right, through with the ball. Travelling down to the line, he lobbed across for DeLeon to head easily into the net.

Two up, St. George's played up the better, and forced two corners. On each occasion Byfield barely missed with his head from the resulting kicks by McKenzie. One of those same corners was ceded when Ambard was obliged to put over from a cannon drive by McKenzie away out the penalty area on the right.

The closing minutes of play found the exchanges fairly even. Trinidad were about holding their own when full time came.

Mr. Mike Hanna refereed and was supported by Messrs. Sanguinetti and McGilchrist as linesmen.

The Players

For St. George's Chin Fatt and Peter gave a refreshing display as full-backs, the half line stood their ground admirably, Chevannes, in the centre, being a tower of strength. On the front line, DeLeon and Byfield led the offensive splendidly. Groves, in goal, was rarely, if ever, tested.

Trinidad's outstanding player was Ambard in goal. He was as dashing and safe as ever. The hard-working captain, Wilkinson, bore the brunt of the attack. B. Henderson was sound, and Sutherland, at inside left, and Burnett, on the extreme right wing, worked as hard as ever.

A fairly large crowd of enthusiasts saw the St. George's Old Boys outplay the tourists. The result was obviously a joy to supporters of the home side, who nevertheless cheered the Trinidadians lustily for the fighting spirit they displayed in the face of defeat.

By their victory, St. George's have accomplished the biggest achievement of any Jamaica side against the tourists in the series. Before the match the members of both teams were presented to His Lordship Bishop Emmet, S.J.

Prominent onlookers included Sir William Morrison, and Mr. and Mrs. W. Shillingford, who along with Messrs. W. J. Palmer and Leslie R. Mordecai sat in the special enclosure in the front of the main stand with Bishop Emmet and the Rev. Fathers Leo T. Butler, S.J., and J. Countie, S.J.