Carib soccer team lose sixth match

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Wisbech Town survive late surge for 5-4 win

WISBECH, Sept. 20:

THE Caribbean FA team were defeated 5-4 by Wisbech Town Saturday afternooon after staging a comeback which made this the most exciting and entertaining match to be seen here this season. It was their sixth defeat in seven games.

Wisbech led 5-2 when the tourists stormed back late in the second half with two goals. Their last goal was scored within seconds of the final whistle and with a few more minutes of play, the result might have been different.

Wisbech have been through a very troublesome month, but the supporters who remained loyal to their team were certainly well rewarded.

The Wisbech people will remember the tourists with respect.

They will remember goalkeeper Cax Baptiste who put up a brilliant display and stocky left back Tyrone De LaBastide for a solid show in defence.

They will also remember left-winger Owen Parker who scored two great goals, his first being the best seen at Wisbech this season.

Centre-forward Derek Weddle, the former Portsmouth player, put Wisbech ahead in the 22nd minute with a header, but tow minutes later Gray popped up to head in the equaliser from Parker's high cross.

Right-winger Durston restored the home sides' lead, despite a great effort to save by Baptiste.

Then, in the 34th minute, Parker scored his outstanding goal. He ran on to a pass from Griffith and beat two men before slamming in a beautiful shot.

Just before half-time Compton Julian replaced Ken East at centre-forward and he immediately went through on his own to test Wisbech's young goalkeeper Allen with a ground-shot.

The half-time score was 2-2 and pessimistic home fans expected another pathetic result. But they did not bargain for a fantastic three-goal spell in the space of seven minutes.

Two-goal Parker was the Caribbean's live wire.

But Wisbech had an even livelier wire in the experienced Weddle who scored a hat-trick to firmly establish himself as the home sides' leading goal scorer.

Wisbech's recovery started in the 60th minute when Weddle headed home from Durstons' corner. Only six minutes later he completed his hat-trick with a fine angled shot. And another minute later young inside forward Frank Allen beat Baptiste with a low shot to make it 5-2.

But this was not the end. Urged on by four of their colleagues in the crowd, the Caribbean stormed into the attack and a Haynes pass was promptly pumped into the net by Parker.

Previously Reg Haynes had had a quiet game on the right wing where he was very subdued by Wisbech's only local boy, Eric Porter.

The Caribbean defence was now equal to everything that Wisbech put into the attack and they were in full control with full-back Rodiguez and De LaBastide giving excellent support to the strong Baptiste and towering centre-half Daniel.

The tourists final goal came in the last minute of the game when Haynes' corner had the defence in a tangle. Julian hooked in a fine shot to finish off a lively and interesting encounter.

The 5-4 defeat need not dismay the officials of the Caribbean F. A. Wisbech, despite their lack of success so far this season have a very experienced side.

In addition to Weddle (ex-Portsmouth), they have Allan Moore formerly with Nottingham Forest, the F. A. cup holders and giant centre-half Tom MacKenzie, a rugged Scot who spent many years in Scottish League football.

After this nine-goal thriller, Wisbech manager Oscar Hold, the former Everton and Queens Park Rangers player, complemented the tourists on a fine and entertaining display.