Trinidad Beats Jamaica 2-1

G. St. C. Scotter
Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

There is so little to choose between Jamaica and Trinidad in the present series, that a comparatively slight factor—a change in the weather, a change in the line-up, a missed chance, or an error by a player on either side—is liable to make all the difference to the result of the match.


In Saturday's match (which Trinidad won 2-1), it was the first of these factors, weather, that made most of the difference, plus a fumble by Dujon in Jamaica's goal. Steady rain all day Friday made Sabina an appreciably ideal pitch for the visitors, while it pulled down Jamaica's
extra bit of pace just enough to enable the Trinidad defence to hold them in check. Under these circumstances, the visitors played the best football they have shown in the tour, so far, with the possible exception of the St. George's match, which it will be remembered was also played on a somewhat slow ground; It was also, it is pleasant to be able to note, the cleanest game of the series. There were practically no fouls to speak of, and very few offsides, in distinction to the almost continuous whistle solos that have marked other games, Benny Barber as referee handling the game excellently. Dopson, Trinidad's star back, gave a great exhibition, which had as much as anything else to do with Jamaica not being able to equalise. Their half line, with McLean in his right position, worked hard and cleverly, having George Allen practically ineffective as pivot of the offence—Lynch at outside left climaxed a series of good games with a crashing shot which hit the inside of the upright—Gerry Gomez, Ken Galt, and Andy Ganteaume, all worked well throughout, and had it not been for another great display by Ken McKen at centre half would, no doubt, have nothced another, or two.


Jamaica started off with a bang and a crash—the bang came when McMorris, consistent goal getter for the side, registered in the first two minutes off an excellent pass from Coy, playing on the side for the first time, and playing a good game, too.

Actually, Mac had two goes at this goal, he missed it off a header, when it came in from Dudley Smith on the right, but go it with his foot as Coy returned it from the left.

Then came the crash—hardly a minute later, George Allen, well up for once, missed a very easy shot from barely half a dozen yards out.

Trinidad were not long in equalising with Lynch's shot described above.

The final goal of the match came from Andy Ganteaume, via Dujon—Andy lobbed a high one in from outside the area, and Dujon, always a bit too keen in getting out among the backs (where, it must be admitted, he does some good work), was a shade too far ahead of his own goal line, and in trying to tip the ball over the bar, tipped it into the net instead.


This victory pleased a lot of people—naturally, it pleased our sporting visitors, who had worked hard for it; it certainly pleased the JFA, who can now look forward to another bumper gate on Wednesday, since Trinidad will still have the chance to level the series; and it pleased thousands of spectators for the same reason, the interest there will be in Wednesday's game.

But I have a small bone to pick with our Selectors—why Bayliss in the forward line? He can never be anything else but a converted half, and it has been obvious all along that we have more fast scoring forwards of the McMorris type. We have another such forward in S. LaBeach, of Melbourne; surely he would have been a better choice than Bayliss.

[photo caption]

THE "UNSAVABLE GOAL" Trinidad's equaliser in the first half of the fourth Colony match played at Sabina Park on Saturday afternoon. Leo Lynch's shot from the left hit the farthest upright. Lynch is seen in his finishing kick and Arthur Dujon is show in a fruitless effort to save.