'No Goalie On Earth Could Have Saved'

G. St. C. Scotter
Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner


A RECORD-BREAKING CROWD—a fine afternoon, somewhat unexpectedly—a fast, tense game—and a two-one victory for Jamaica—all embodied to make Saturday's match one of the great historic sporting occasions in this country's history.

It is the first time Jamaica has ever beaten Trinidad in football, we having lost all the three Inter-Colony Matches in the pre-war tour; and there was still so little to choose between the two teams in standard of play, that the remaining three matches of the series are likely to be just as closely and keenly contested, with the result, in doubt, from start to finish.

How They Lined Up.

Somewhat to my surprise, Trinidad turned out without that great opportunist, Ken Galt, his place at centre-forward being occupied by Lewis, who played a good steady game here and justified his selection by scoring the only goal for the visitors; but I imagine there is room for both himself and Galt on the side, and this we shall probably see Wednesday.

Jeff Stollmeyer came in for Andy Ganteaume at outside right, and put in some useful centres, but he still seems to feel the effects of the leg injury he had on the cricket tour, and consequently was on the slow side.

Jamaica's changes were Dudley Smith, at outside right, for Hall; and McMorris, at centre for Holt; and the selectors can pat themselves on the back for both changes; for the two new-comers scored both of Jamaica's goals, that of McMorris especially being a magnificient first-time effort which hit the bottom of the bar and crashed down into the net, the type of shot that no goalie on earth could have saved.

For the first quarter of an hour, it looked as if the home side were going to be completely overrun; Trinidad starting with great pace and determination, and all their halves dominating the mid-field play in masterly fashion; at this stage, McLean, in Jamaica's goal, once again proved a tower of strength, saving a great shot from Gerry Gomez, and another from Lynch, who played finely throughout; in fact, was probably the star player of the afternoon.

McLean got an injury shortly before half time, and could barely limp across the goal, but he stuck to his task grimly, the only shot that did beat him, from Lewis, being another of those unsavable ones.

That Penalty.

Johnny Groves did a nice job of refereeing, but I hardly agree with him on that penalty; a brisk tackle by McLean, at right half, brought down Hollingshead in the area, but it was as much a matter of the forward being off balance as anything else, and as such was hardly worth the penalty.

Play on both sides was again of the Cup tie variety—fast and and tense, but not too scientific; Allen's clever passing, and use of the W formation, was somewhat offset by equally clever interception work on the part of Prior Jones, who, after his experience of the W last Wednesday, wisely decided to constitute himself the opposite form of the said W.

Equally good work in the middle was done by Ken McKen, who covered more ground than anyone else on the field, and in spite of his lack of inches, was always able to get into the air for the ball, when he had to.

Both our full-backs played well, with Dujon, this time the better of the two, particularly as he had to counteract the militant Lynch on the wing.

Farewell Football Dinner Feb. 26

The farewell dinner to the Trinidad football team now touring Jamaica will be held on Wednesday night, Feby. 26, following the last match of the tournament, at Myrtle Bank Hotel.

Presentation of the Hayward Shield and its replica to the winners of the Tournament, souvenirs to the Trinidad Team and Colours to the players who represented Jamaica will be a feature of the dinner. The replica of the shield is being made by Mr. Fabian Henriques.

Cover to the dinner will be a guinea and reservations close to Mr. G. M. daCosta, 55 Orange St., and Mr. Harry Randall, 11 Duke St.