Goalless Draw In First Colony Match

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

10,000 Watch Fast, Thrilling Game

An Anxious Moment For TrinidadAn Anxious Moment For Trinidad: J. K. Holt, Jnr., Jamaica's centre-forward, and Joey Gonsalves, Trinidad goal-keeper, in a tussel on the goal-line following the former's shot, almost butting up on the keeper in the second half.

THE BIGGEST CROWD—estimated at over 10,000, which included His Excellency the Governor Sir John Huggins, K.C.M.G., M.C., and Commander Charles Hayward, M.B.E., President of the Trinidad Amateur Football Association, who arrived in the Island yesterday—ever seen at a football match here saw Jamaica and Trinidad play to a goalless draw yesterday afternoon in the first "Test" of the current inter-Colonial Tournament at Sabina Park.

Despite the absence of goals, it was a fast, thrilling and almost breathless match—with the pace controlled by the Jamaica side, but who appeared to feel the gruelling pace more than their opponents, so that in the closing ten minutes Trinidad were actually pressing. Really, it was only then and any other period that the pace had slowed up the visitors' well-known short-passing movements of Trinidad were seen to any advantage.


Directed by Geroge Allen, Jamaica'a captain, at inside-left, despite the very fast pace, the marvellous short-passing, demonstrated by Jamaica in the '"Kenya" match early in January was again seen to marked advantage, and many times had the Trinidad defence floundering, but only poor shooting robbed us of a deserving victory, if the chances of either side were taken into consideration. A conservative estimate in this respect would leave Jamaica the winners about 3—1.

Both sides missed no fewer than four golden opportunities in the first half, and three of these were by Jamaica forwards going down the hill first. In the first place, Holt dallying with a pass eventually saw his shot from very close range touching a defender and giving Joey Gonsalves the opportunity of bringing off an excellent save. Then, on a pass from Holt to Alcock, the latter playing at inside right instead of his usual position at inside left, had first by habit to beat a man to get the ball to his left foot, again giving Gonsalves the opportunity to bring off a brilliant save from a shot almost five yards out.


Just before the end of the first half, it was Alcock again, who, on getting a pass from Holt, received it first with his right foot, and instead of flicking it into the goal, he again attempted to bring back the ball to his left foot, and once more Gonsalves did not miss his opportunity.

Trinidad's big chance came when centre-forward Ken Galt at the other end, receiving a true pass from the right, had only Arthur McLean to beat, but his placed shot to the right of the goal was not hard enough, and the Jamaica keeper flung himself almost flat to bring off a good save.

The exchanges in the second half were more even, although there were nothing in it, as far as scoring was concerned, to compare with the "sitters" in the first half, if Holt and Gonsalves had a tussle on the line that was rather close for Trinidad.


The Jamaica half-line was marvellous with Walters at right-half, probably the best player on the field despite the mastery of Allen, who seemed to have had a string on the ball when he got it at his feet. In defence, Vernon Delgado confounded his many critics, and really himself
and McLean were responsible for saving Jamaica many a time.

Our forwards proved individualist: they were the only line that did not fit into Allen's "W" plan movements. Lester Alcock proved himself a master dribbler, but there is probably no player in the world who can split up a defence so effectively and close it back so tightly himself. Probably his failure to convert his chances, however, was due to the fact that he was out of position. Holt at centre-forward was a shadow of the very good player he was
known to be up to a year or two ago.


The teams were presented to His Excellency the Governor before the kick off. He was accompanied by Mr. G. M. daCosta, President of the Jamaica Football Association and Commander Hayward.

The teams lined up as follows:follows:—

JAMAICA—A. T. McLean; A. U. Dujon, V. Delgado, H. Walters, K. McKen and S. Bayliss; N. Hall, L. Alcock, J. K. Holt Jnr., G. Allen and S. Hollingshead.

TRINIDAD—J. Gonsalves; S. Dopson, J. Simmonds, M. McLean. P. Jones (Captain), I. Seale, A. Ganteaume, G. Gomez, K. Galt, R. Burnett, and L. Lynch.

Referee—F. O. Rorrney, Linesmen:—E. S. Barber and G. S. M. Lovell

McMorris, Smith May Be In Next Jamaica Team

The Jamaica Football Selection Committee met yesterday afternoon following the playing of the first Colony Match against Trinidad at Sabina Park and selected the team to play in the Second Colony Match on Saturday.

The team will not be officially published until Saturday morning. It is understood that two changes have been made, C. S. McMorris and Dudley Smith to be brought in.


Radio listeners all over the island were able yesterday to follow the progress of the Colony
Match between Jamaica and Trinidad, played at Sabina Park. ZQI gave 'a ball by ball' account, using former Corinthian-Casual full back Partridge who is now resident in the island, while Mr. J. R. Bunting, M.A., headmaster of Wolmer's commented on play during the internval. ZQI's manager, Denis Gick, was also on the air at Sabina, supplementing the successful efforts of the above-mentioned pair.

[photo caption]

PRIOR JONES, THE TRINIDAD CAPTAIN, seen behind Sir John Huggins, presenting his team, which took the field against Jamaica yesterday at Sabina Park, to His Excellency, who is shaking the hand of Malcolm McLean. Also can be made out in the picture are Commander Hayward, President of the Trinidad A.F.A.; Gerry Gomez, John Simmonds, Syl Dopson, Rex Burnett and Ian Seale.