Britain defeat West Indies 7-2

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Hat-trick by Peter Kane

London, October 10:

(Great Britain .... 7; W.I. .... 2)

Great Britain v. Caribbean F.A.Official match programme

THE WEST Indies did far better then the score suggests, when at Ipswich this afternoon they took on the might of British amateur soccer. But they could have done better. Three of the British goals came about through defensive lapses. They occurred not so much through individual error as through lack of understanding.

For individually, every man in the defence tackled quickly and with determination. But as a unit, the defence seemed to panic when the British forwards got to the penalty area. So the British centre forward Bobby Brown was allowed to give his side the lead in the fourteenth minute when he seized upon the ball which bobbed about in the penalty area through the want fo one decisive clearance.

The tragedy was that Brown, the most talked about amateur footballer in Britain, was generally kept in such tight rein by the West Indies centre half that he was given little chance to show his many talents.

It was also unfortunate that this goal came against the run of play after the West Indies had got off to a cracking start. They tore straight into the game, refusing to allow their opponents the chance to settle down. It certainly came as a surprise to the spectators who had expected to see Britain canter to a comfortable victory.

And it seemd to come as just as much of a surprise to the British team.


On the left wing, lanky Owen Parker gave immediate notice that he was intent on causing Britain's defence as much trouble as possible by employing a "shoot-on-sight" policy. This brought him both West Indian goals, and his first one scored in the 28th minute was the best goal of the game. He came in with a fine tackle to the ball from British full back Doug Gardener, and then unleashed a first time drive from 25 yards which had that excellent British goalkeeper, Mike Pinner, beaten all the way.

Unfortunately, Parker was the only West Indian forward who ever looked like scoring.

Inside forwards, Reg Haynes and Sydney Bartlett, both gave neat displays, showing many deft touches. Bartlett, indeed, often split Britain's defence with exquisite passes. But neither showed much shooting power.

So it was ll the more unfortunate that centre forward Alvin Corneal could so seldom shake off the attention of Britain's tough skipper, center half, Alf D'Arcy. Corneal did get in one tremendous drive late in the game, when his shot from fully 30 yards, was just tipped over the bar by Pinner.

But even when the West Indian forwards did break clear to get into shooting positions they often fell into the offside trap of the British defence.

In the West Indian defence left back De la Bastide caught the eye and fully earned the applause he received for the great game he played—tackling well and showing fine sense of anticipation.

Right back Bill Rodriguez was prominent for his ling and accurate clearances.

Skipper Pat Gomez put up a courageous display in goal, and could not be blamed for any of the shots which beat him. He pulled off one almost impossible save from the British inside left Peter Kane.

It was Kane who gave the most trouble. This tough bustling Scotsman always seemed to be in a scoring spot at the right moment and grabbed a fine second half hat trick.

The West Indies deserve praise for the way in which they not only went at their task, but the way in which they stuck at it in the face of set backs.

Having dictated the opening stages of the match, they found themselves two goals down when Bobby Brown nipped through the defence to score his second goal.

But the West Indies kept plugging away, and then Parker scored his great goal.

The 37th minute again saw the West Indies defence at fault when a harmless looking through ball was allowed to pass unmolested by two defenders from Britain's left winger McIntosh to seize upon it and shoot past the advancing Gomez.

Parker made and missed the easiest scoring chance of the match when with only the goalkeeper to beat he fumbled the ball and lost possession.


Then Peter Kane got to work. He scored the first of his hat-trick in the 51st minute, and was helped by defensive blunder. But there was no denying the flying header with which he scored five minutes later, nor the close range shot which set the seal on a fine movement in the 69th minute.

The West Indies did not allow their disappointment to show and seven minutes from time back came the indefatigable Parker to slam in an acute angle drive wich sent the ball straigh through the goal net.

Indeed it was some moments before it was realised that the ball had gone into the goal first.

But Britain were not finished either. With three minutes remaining, McIntosh crowned a good solo effort by centring accurately for inside right Ward to head home.


GREAT BRITAIN. M. Pinner, O. Gardener, W. Nell, H. Forde, A. D'Arcy, R. McKinnon, A. McIntosh, J. Ward, R. Brown, P. Kane, N. Clarke.

WEST INDIES: P. Gomez, W. Rodriguez, T. de la Bastide, E. Aleong, M. Hope, D. Griffith, K. East, R. Haynes, A. Corneal, S. Bartlett, O. Parker.