Trinidad Beats Combined Schools

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Sharp Shooting Forwards And Sound Defence Prevail

Spectators' space at Sabina Park was at a premium an hour before the start of the match against Combined Schools to open the second Trinidad football tour of Jamaica on Saturday last.

As was reported in yesterday's "Gleaner" the schoolboys lost 3-0, but they were not disgraced; if they even deserved to lost on the run of play, better finishing should have brought them at least one goal, as they often worked up to it with that fast, snappy short-passing that can be so disconcerting to the best defence—and the Trinidad defenders often fount it so on Saturday.

The teams were presented by Mr. G. M. DaCosta, president of the Jamaica Football Association, to the Hon. Douglas Judah, M.L.C., who gave up the presidency of the Association last year after nine years regime.

The teams lines up as follows:

COMBINED SCHOOLS: K. N. Williams (Capt.); E. Headman, V. R. Hutchinson; J. K. Gentles, K. Hamilton, K. Largie, E. B. Rodgers, H. Miller, F. Alexander, R. Berry, C. D. Morin.

TRINIDAD: R. Merritt, S. Dopson, J. Simmonds, M. McLean, P. Jones (Capt.), N. Winn, J. B. Stollmeyer, G. Gomez, K. Galt, R. Burnett, L. Lynch.


Trinidad kicking down first lined up seven men—forwards and halves—on the line, and the kick-off wwas not checked until Williams intercepted a high lob and send the ball upfield.

The schoolboys got on the move immediately with some fast, tricky short-passing that at first had the Trinidadians guessing. Midfield scrimmages followed for some time with the heavier side gradually asserting themselves, and play shifted to the area of the local team, Hutchinson at one time just clearing off Galt's feet.

Trinidad, playing in red jerseys and white pants, however, forced their first corner on the left and for a while, despite strong defensive play, the ball was continuously popping back because the forwards were failing to keep up and in position.


The fourth corner of the match—all forced by the visitors—came on the right, and Stollmeyer kicked a beauty straight to the head of the waiting and always cool Galt, who cleverly flicked the ball just inside the far upright opposite which he was standing, for the first goal.

The goal seemed to rouse the schoolboys, who then took the initiative, but they were still uncertain of themselves, seeming to be overawed by the occasion, and they did not shake off their nervousness until in the last ten minutes or so of the game.

The second goal came a little before half-time after such juggling of the ball in the air between Stollmeyer, Gomez, and Galt, the last-named nipping around Hamilton to snap up the final lob from Gomez and place the ball with consummate ease in the net.


Trinidad were early on the move again on the resumption. They made many errors, but were always allowed to recover. Stollmeyer showed some unexpected speed to centre nicely and again there was a waiting head; this time that of Burnett, who placed the ball coolly into the corner of the net.

[photo caption]

ACTION IN FRONT of the Schoolboys' goal in the Schools-Trinidad match on Saturday shows Hutchinson (left back) intercepting a pass to Ken Galt (extreme left) from Gerry Gomez (second from right). Others seen in the picture, which also gives and idea how packed were the touchlines, are: Largie, Referee Vance, and Hamilton.