Football Season In Trinidad Closed

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner


The match for the B.D.V. Cup to bring the football season of Trinidad to a close was played on Wednesday, the 5th inst. and ended in a victory for Shamrock by 5 goals to 3 over Maple. Shamrock helped by the faulty goalkeeping of the losers thus retained the trophy for the second season in succession.

Frank Ambard kept goal and Willie Payne was a right back for the winners; at inside right for Maple was Clifford Roach, the West Indies Test Match opening batsman. Star of the match was Ken Galt brother of D. Galt who came out here with the Trinidad team. Ken who is the Shamrock and Trinidad centre forward, netted three of the goals.

A drizzling rain fell throughout the match and the players did not take any risks of extending themselves on the slippery field. Still, the football was said to be good. The losers, however, played one man short throughout the game.

The following is a description of the match.

After many midfield exchanges, Shamrock went into the van when they obtained a corner. M. Anderson (insider-right) shot a beauty and the defence partially cleared. The same player rushed up and scored.

Within a few minutes, Shamrock intending to make victory certain were on the attack. Anderson ran down the wing and shot to goal. The ball slipped out of Raymond's (the goalkeeper's) hands and K. Galt netted easily.

Maple now took up the offensive for all they were worth and were rewarded soon. A fine bit of combination enabled M. West (outside-left) to receive the ball and he scored with a beautiful long range drive. Chambers (outside-right) tried a nice header but Ambard saved well. He again saved grandly when Roach tried a beautiful long shot.

The Cafe Boys (Shamrock) went further ahead a little before half-time. Galt received a pass, beat an opposing defender, and put the ball safely out of Raymond's reach. At half time, Shamrock were in the van by three goals to one.

Early in the second session of play, Maple seemed determined to reduce the lead, if not draw level with their opponents, but Ambard rose to the occasion. He saved a fine shot from Chambers and, later, two from West, who was playing brilliant soccer.

Up to then, Shamrock had had a fair share of the exchanges but they again opened the scoring in this period. Ken Galt ran up with the ball and passed to R. Leotaud (inside-left), who supplied the finishing touch with an easy shot. Shamrock registered their fifth goal a few minutes after, when Galt tried a long range grounder which surprisingly entered the nets.

The Mapleites now took charge of affairs and obtained a penalty when C. Lyon (right-half) handled the ball, H. Yeates scored with a well placed shot.

After West had kicked narrowly outside, Ambard brought off a beautiful save from a shot by H. Yeates.

West further reduced the lead a little before the final whistle sounded with a powerful shot.