Latapy Impressive In Hibernian Debut

Marc Purcell
Date Published: 

The reviews are in and former national captain Russell Latapy made an impressive debut for Hibernian this weekend. Latapy, fresh from signing a two year £1 million free transfer, started for his new club versus Ayr United in what turned out to be a 3-3 barn burner.

According to one fan who witness the game: "Russell made an excellent debut yesterday looking calm and assured in everything he did. He didn't waste a pass all day." That was backed up by the Hibernian website: "Hibs man of the match was without question Russell Latapy, he did not put a foot wrong all game and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet himself. Every ball he played found the feet of a Hibs player..."

Hibernian had to battle back from 3-1 deficit after 71 minutes and came away with the tie with just five minutes left in the game on the strength of a header from Mixu. The well fought draw was completed just seconds from the final whistle.

At the contract signing Latapy stated that he decided to come to Easter Road because he loved Scotland and the people and that he had also heard about the size of the club and their aspirations from his friend Tony Rougier.

According to Latapy, he will put his Trinidad and Tobago duties on hold until Hibernian gets promoted into the Scottish Premier division. Speaking to the Scotsman Latapy stated: "Every player wants to play for his country and wants to be available but games in the Caribbean Cup, for example, are not that important international...My club football is very important to me at this stage and if we can agree a compromise, which may mean I go back for occasional warm-up games, we will do that."

Hibernian manager Alex McLeish stated that he would make arrangements with the TTFF. He said: "I have already been in touch with the manager of Trinidad and Tobago [Richard Braithwaite] and as fellow managers we had a good chat. We don't want relations to break down and we want players to be able to play if they want to."

Yorke and United escape with draw.

Talk about coming back down to earth. Dwight Yorke and Manchester United after scoring eleven goals in the last two games, could only manage a goal against Derby County. Derby County under Jamaican "Neon" Deon Burton went ahead 1-0 after 74 minutes. However, Manchester United through Dutchman Cruyff equalized in the 86th minute to salvage some pride.

In the shooting range...

"Incoming!!!!" That must have been the cry of Shaka Hislop while he stood in goal for West Ham on Saturday. Hislop had a long day at the office as he let four goals get by him in a 4-2 lost to Charlton Athletic.

Clint Marcelle was not listed as a starter in Barnsley's encounter with Portsmouth. Barnsley won the game 2-1.

In Switzerland, Jerren Nixon and FC Zurich tied Xamax 1-1.

In Portugal, Leonson Lewis and Amadora tied Beira-Mar 0-0.