One Down, One More To Go

Marc Purcell
Date Published: 

"Tight marking by the Metro Stars had Stern John looking like a bowling pin for much of last night, but he kept popping back up." That was the comment of one sports writer on Stern John's performance Saturday night versus New York.

John was kicked around and was the recipient of a elbow in the back of his head that had him on the ground for a few minutes, however he bounced back to score one goal in regulation play and the game winner in the shoot-out.

The win means that John and Columbus move on to face either Miami or DC United in the Eastern Conference final of the MLS Cup.

John's first goal came just after he was knocked to the ground with a elbow delivered to the back of his head by US international Alexis Lalas. John still hurting from the injury headed home a free kick from Jamaican Andrew Williams to tie the game at 1-1.

With nothing settled at the end of regulation play, John scored the game winning goal in the shoot-out phase to complete the sweep of the Metro Stars. The shoot-out win was Columbus' first this season.

The news is not so good for Mickey Trotman, Brian Haynes and Dallas. Brian Haynes scored in the return leg of there encounter with Los Angeles but could do nothing from preventing the Galaxy from sweeping the Burn. The won the game 3-1 to move on to the Western Conference final.

Yorke scores in Man U win.

While his counterpart in the US was celebrating on Saturday, Dwight Yorke just continued his normal scoring ways. Yorke scored his fifth goal of the season, his fourth in English Premiership league competition. His goal was part of a 3-0 win over Southampton.

Yorke scored in the 11th minute to open the scoring for Manchester United. He just stuck his foot out a low Andy Cole cross to leave the Southampton goal keeper stranded.

The win by Manchester United moved them into second place behind Yorke's old team in Aston Villa. Villa lead by six points but Manchester United have a game in hand.

English and Scottish report.

Shaka Hislop found himself on the end of a 3-0 beating at the hands of Blackburn Rovers. He was on the end of some poor defending by Rio Ferdinand.

Clint Marcelle and Barnsley tied Bolton Wanderers 2-2.

In Scotland, Tony Rougier and Hibernian gained some ground on league leaders Falkirck. They defeated Airdrie 3-1 to move within two points of the league lead.

Marvin Andrews and Raith Rovers continue to struggle. They dropped to last place in the Scottish first division and are in danger of being relegated at season's end. Raith lost to Clydebank 1-0. Marvin had a chance to score his first goal this season when his header was cleared off the line. That proved to be the only chance for Raith on Saturday.

In the shooting range...

In Switzerland, FC Zurich and Jerren Nixon lost to Severrete 3-1.

Leonson Lewis may be the only senior player left in Portugal but he is still keeping the T&T flag flying high. On Sunday he scored his second goal of the season in a 1-0 win over Campomaiorense.